• Distributions Updated

    Tue, 14 May 2019 14:00:00 -0700 - Chris Brannon

    We made several updates to our distribution images and netboot installers:

    • Fedora 30 has been added, and Fedora 28 has been removed.
    • Ubuntu Disco 19.04 has been added. Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 and Ubuntu Cosmic 18.10 were removed, though Trusty is still available as a netboot installer.
    • The Arch Linux install ISO was upgraded to the 2019.05.02 version, and the image was rebuilt.
    • The OpenBSD installer was updated to OpenBSD 6.5.
    • The NixOS installer was updated to NixOS 2019.03.
    • Docker images were rebuilt to use the overlay2 storage driver.

    Fedora 30 changed their bootloader configuration to use the Boot Loader Specification. You can read about that change on this page from the Fedora wiki. PV bootloaders aren’t compatible with this change, so we no longer support Fedora 30 for PV VPSes. If you have a PV VPS and you wish to install or upgrade to Fedora 30, please write support@prgmr.com and ask us to do a PV-to-HVM conversion.

    While testing a routine rebuild of our Ubuntu Bionic image with Docker pre-installed, I discovered a message in system logs stating that the devicemapper storage driver is now deprecated. Since we do not know when devicemapper support will be removed, it seemed prudent to change our two Docker variants to use the overlay2 storage driver. We also switched to using a single-partition disk layout, consistent with all of our other Linux distributions.

    Our distribution images and netboot installers are available from the management console of any Prgmr.com VPS.

  • MDS Side-Channel Attacks

    Tue, 14 May 2019 13:00:00 -0700 - Sarah Newman

    Intel has released new microcode to address a new set of side-channel information disclosure attacks - CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130, and CVE-2019-11091. These vulnerabilities are otherwise going by the names “ZombieLoad,” “RIDL,” and “Fallout.”

    Generally, these are considered easier than Spectre but more difficult than Meltdown to exploit. We disabled hyper-threading a long time ago, which is the most likely method for cross-virtual machine attacks to be successful.

    Mitigation requires both updates of the host server to prevent attacks in between virtual machines and updates within the virtual machine to prevent information leaks between processes or kernel and user space. In both cases, the new CPU instructions provided by the updated microcode are required. We will follow up later via email with the schedule and plan for updates.

  • Scheduled maintenance for billing system

    Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:30:00 -0700 - Alan Post

    Update: Our billing system is upgraded and the maintenance window closed.

    For up to two hours starting Sat Apr 20 2019 02:00 UTC we will take our billing system offline for a software upgrade.

  • Distributions updated: various rebuilds, new rescue image, and new installable Arch Linux image

    Sun, 14 Apr 2019 11:00:00 -0700 - Chris Brannon

    We made several updates and one addition to our distribution images and netboot installers:

    • We now provide an installable Arch Linux image, and customers will be able to order or reinstall a VPS with Arch Linux.
    • Our rescue image is now based on Debian Stretch, rather than Debian Jessie.
    • The Arch Linux netboot installer was updated to 2019.04.01.
    • The Alpine Linux netboot installer was updated to the 3.9.2 release.
    • The docker variants of Ubuntu Bionic and CentOS 7 were rebuilt for CVE-2019-5736.
    • All of our Debian and Ubuntu images were rebuilt for CVE-2019-3462.
    • Debian Jessie images no longer contain jessie-updates in /etc/apt/sources.list, because the Debian FTP masters pulled it from Debian’s FTP site in March. Security updates are still provided, however.

    These distribution images and netboot installers are available from the management console of any Prgmr.com VPS.

  • Network maintenance window this weekend - no downtime expected

    Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:00:00 -0700 - Sarah Newman

    During this Saturday 2019-03-30 3:00 UTC to 6:00 UTC and Sunday 2019-03-31 3:00 UTC to 6:00 UTC we’ll deploy network changes to bring up an additional upstream connection. We don’t expect any downtime related to these changes.